YARA is a powerful and free sleuthing tool that belongs in every threat, incident response or SOC team. It runs on any platform, Is open source and is small enough to be an easy inclusion to any trusted tool set. Its ability to sift through data, identify files based on logic—not just by simple comparison, but also via fuzzy logic—makes YARA pretty unbeatable. It can be used simply for insight on an isolated event or in a sophisticated manner as part of an incident response or research laboratory. Those not using YARA are missing out on key intelligence capability. Its ease of use and ability to rapidly deploy means you can get into YARA quickly, but can just as easily miss the sophisticated and powerful ways to use it.
- Employ detection fragment strategies for identification and classification of elements of a file.
- Identify files by signature, by structure and organization
- Classify single and groups of file
- Employ logical structures to stack, cluster, and iterate through data in a file for detection or classification
- Use of negation and inverse detection tricks
- Condition line only detections
- Complex rule usage